Snapchat plans to double its NBA content material for the 2021 season
Snapchat is gearing up for what is hopefully a return to a somewhat normal season for the National Basketball Association after the last campaign's 141-day pandemic shutdown before the Los Angeles Lakers are crowned champions in the bubble in Orlando, Florida.
The NBA draft kicks off the 2021 season on November 18, followed by a 72-game campaign kicking off on December 22.
In a blog post, Snapchat said, "There's nothing like the spectacle of a basketball arena at game time. It gets our senses going – the sounds of rustling and buzzing, the smell of stadium concessions, the bright flashing lights, the high-fives that really clap , the silence so immense it's almost deafening. It's an experience that can only be repeated on Snapchat. There are many unknowns about the future of the fan experience in sports, but one thing we do know: Snapchat has it Arena redefined for millions of fans. "
National Basketball Association / Snap Inc.
This is the sixth year Snap Inc. has partnered with the league. Snapchat will feature twice as much NBA content as last season, including shows of the league, real-time highlights for each game, and Our Stories curated by Snapchat.
Sam Farber, vice president of the NBA for digital media, said in the blog post, “Fans have always used Snapchat to get closer to NBA action, but this season it has taken on a whole new meaning. Whether fans can virtually step onto the official NBA floor or use augmented reality technology to create content in their favorite team's gear, Snapchat has been an integral part of the fan experience for the 2019-20 NBA season restart through to Final. "
Other NBA-related data points shared by Snap include:
- More than a third of Snapchatters believe that watching sports has become more meaningful since Covid-19, but a third also believe that the fan experience has been negatively impacted.
- 40% of the Generation Z population in the US watch sports content on Snapchat Discover every day.
- On average, nearly 5.5 million Snapchatters in the US view Sports Discover content every day.
- The average viewer per episode of NBA highlights on Snapchat has increased 37% since the restart last season.
- NBA-themed lenses had 20% longer playtime than US benchmarks.
- 64% of Snapchatters who have watched NBA content since the season restart were between 13 and 34 years old.
- Snapchat offers almost 16% incremental reach for television among advertisers' audiences and 45% incremental reach for television among those ages 13 to 24.
Snap said on his blog post, “From draft to final, there are so many incredibly exciting moments that are important to NBA fans. Every second counts this season, and our fans will be sharing every moment on Snapchat, giving your brand endless opportunities to engage and meet fans in the most expressive virtual arena out there. "