How to Use WhatsApp for Business: Tips and Tools
While you've likely already included platforms like Twitter and Facebook in your social media strategy, WhatsApp could be just as important to your brand.
That's right: WhatsApp is not just for texting your colleagues or for video chatting with your family in another city. It can also be used for business purposes.
WhatsApp Business is specially designed for small business owners. It can help you Connect with your customers and support them with Immediate, personal customer service.
If you've never thought about adding a WhatsApp Business account to your brand's social strategy, we're going to explore why this might be a good idea.
Bonus: Download a free guide This shows how you can increase social media engagement through better audience research, sharper customer focus, and Hootsuite's easy-to-use social media software.
What is whatsapp
WhatsApp is a messaging app like Facebook Messenger or We Chat.
The mobile app uses the phone's internet connection to communicate with other WhatsApp users. This makes them an affordable alternative to international calling or texting.
WhatsApp was an independent messenger company when it was founded in 2009, but Facebook acquired it in 2014. As of 2021, it is still owned by Facebook.
People use WhatsApp for business or personal purposes because:
- It's free. The only fees you might get are data roaming fees.
- It's reliable. As long as you are connected to Wi-Fi or have cellular data, you can use WhatsApp to communicate with users all over the world.
- It's widespread. There are WhatsApp users in 180 different countries.
- It's not just about texting. You can use WhatsApp for voice messages, calls, and video calls, as well as sharing photos, videos, documents, or your location.
8 WhatsApp Stats You Probably Didn't Know About
The numbers speak for themselves.
1. WhatsApp is the world's most popular mobile messenger app
2 billion people worldwide Use WhatsApp at least once a month.
This puts WhatsApp ahead of other popular messenger apps: Facebook Messenger with 1.3 billion users and WeChat with 1.2 billion users.
2. WhatsApp is the third most popular social media network in the world
It only stands behind Facebook and YouTube for worldwide popularity.
3. 58% of WhatsApp users use the app more than once a day
In fact, in the US, the average person uses it 143 times a month.
4. As of 2019, WhatsApp had more than half a billion active users per day
This is an increase of 450 million at the end of 2018.
5. Most of the new WhatsApp users in 2020 are in the US
After the states, Brazil, the United Kingdom, India and then Mexico were the countries with the highest number of WhatsApp downloads in 2020.
6. 27% of American WhatsApp users are between 26 and 35 years old
7. WhatsApp is mostly used to keep in touch with friends and family
That's why 82% of Americans use the app. Other popular reasons are strengthening a professional network (13%) and entertainment (10%).
8. Most WhatsApp calls ever made were New Years Eve 2020
1.4 billion video and voice calls were made using WhatsApp as of December 31, 2020.
How to use WhatsApp for business
While only 4% of American WhatsApp users downloaded the app to follow brands or businesses, using WhatsApp is still of great value to your business.
WhatsApp Business is specially designed for small business owners and offers special solutions to help you connect with your customers.
To get started, you need a WhatsApp Business account. If you don't already have one, follow these simple step-by-step instructions.
How to create a WhatsApp business account
1. Download the WhatsApp Business app for Android or iPhone
Find the app in the App Store or Google Play, or download it from the WhatsApp website.
2. Agree to the terms and conditions
3. Enter your company's phone number
4. Enter your details
After entering your phone number, you will be automatically redirected to this page. Fill in the essential details like your company name, add a profile picture and choose a category that best describes your company.
5. Learn more about WhatsApp Business Tools
In the next step, you will learn how to set up a product catalog for your e-commerce or automated messaging.
You can also skip the tutorial and go straight to the settings.
Before moving on to more advanced features like automated messaging, you need to add more information about your business. You can manage addresses, opening times and websites in the Business profile Category in the settings.
6. Now establish a connection with your customers
That's it! Now that you know how to create a WhatsApp account for your business, you can use the Messenger app to communicate with customers.
4 great uses of WhatsApp for business
Why should you use WhatsApp as a business owner? Here are 4 things the app could help you with.
Increase your customer service
With a WhatsApp Business account, you can make your social media customer service more efficient and personal.
WhatsApp Business not only serves as a channel for direct messages, it also offers various tools that you can use to improve communication with customers:
- Fast answers. Save answers to frequently asked questions as templates and set up shortcuts. This will give you back the time it would take you to write the answers to repetitive questions. And your customers get their questions answered faster.
- Labels. Use labels to organize and categorize users and messages. This allows you to sort messages by urgency and identify returning customers. You can use preprogrammed labels or create new ones that make sense for your business.
- Out of office messages and welcome messages. Set up these automated messages so that your customer receives an instant response, even if you can't respond. This is a great way to set expectations for response times when a customer contacts you outside of your business hours.
In addition, it is easy and inexpensive to communicate with international customers via WhatsApp Business.
Present your products in a catalog
You can think of WhatsApp Business' catalog tool as a mobile storefront. This allows your customers to browse your products without leaving the app.
This tool is useful for highlighting new products, seasonal collections or bestsellers.
Here are some important facts about the catalog:
- You can upload a maximum of 500 products or services.
- Each product or service can have a title, price, description, product code, and a link to the product on your website.
- Every product has a picture.
- You can share links from the catalog in WhatsApp conversations.
Communicate with colleagues or employees
WhatsApp Business is not only used for communication with customers. It's also a useful way to keep in touch with co-workers. In fact, messenger apps like WhatsApp are used by 79% of professionals for communication at work.
Source: Digital 2020
With the group chat function, you can send messages with up to 256 people at the same time. It is possible to send PDFs and other documents via WhatsApp Business. Files can be up to 100MB in size.
Network with other professionals
After all, you use WhatsApp to communicate with others in your industry. The app's video call tool can be used in a professional network facility like Zoom or Skype.
You can even sync WhatsApp Business to your desktop so that those professional network calls can be made from your office computer rather than your phone.
4 useful WhatsApp business tools
Sparkcentral from Hootsuite
Sparkcentral makes talking to customers a breeze. It is an automated messaging platform ideal for managing large volumes of messages.
Sparkcentral offers chatbots and AI solutions that enable companies to automate customer service across social platforms – all in one dashboard. It works with WhatsApp as well as Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Instagram, and more.
WhatsAuto is another solution that allows you to create better automatic replies. WhatsAuto lets you create a chatbot, schedule auto replies, and easily turn auto replies on and off.
Source: Google Play
Cleanup for Business WhatsApp
Download this business tool if you don't want to spend time manually deleting old files from WhatsApp. Cleanup makes cleaning up WhatsApp Business easier – you can select multiple files at once and quickly delete old pictures, videos, audio files, notes and profile pictures. The app also works offline.
Status saving mode for WhatsApp scan
This app makes it easy to manage your company's WhatsApp contact list. Use this option to import WhatsApp contacts to your iPhone, merge duplicate contacts and connect to someone on WhatsApp without adding them as an official contact.
So there you have it! Now you know why WhatsApp can be a great tool for your business. Don't forget: messenger apps like WhatsApp Business are great ways to improve customer service and improve communication with your customers and your team.
Save time building an efficient social media customer support system with Hootsuite. Answer questions and complaints, create tickets from social conversations and work with chatbots via a dashboard. Try it for free today.
Easily manage all of your social media in one place and Save time with Hootsuite.