How to use Creator Studio for Facebook and Instagram
Creator Studio is a dashboard for brand and content creators using Instagram and Facebook. At a high level, it makes it easy to publish content and analyze performance between accounts on both platforms.
Read on for a full look at what you can and can't do with Creator Studio, as well as some time-saving hacks.
Bonus: Download our free, customizable social media calendar template to easily plan and schedule all your content in advance.
What is Creator Studio?
Creator Studio is Facebook's free dashboard that social media marketers and content creators can use to manage Facebook Pages and Instagram accounts.
It brings you together Social media analytics, scheduling and community management. It also helps eligible accounts monetize their content and manage the influencer-brand collaboration.
How to get to Creator Studio
Creator Studio is available for desktop and mobile users.
To access Creator Studio from your PC or Mac, simply go to business.facebook.com/creatorstudio while logged into your Facebook account.
Anyone with access to a Facebook Page can use Creator Studio regardless of their role (although some features are only available for certain roles – more on that in a moment).
Download the Creator Studio app for iOS or Android to use the dashboard on mobile devices.
Features of Facebook Creator Studio
As soon as you access Creator Studio on your computer, you land on the home screen.
This view contains 6 elements:
- Post something. A link to the post-creation tool.
- Recommendations. Personalized recommendations for the pages you manage.
- Monetization. A summary of your estimated earnings (available to eligible users only).
- Insights. A summary of your 7-day performance.
- Recent posts. An overview of the posts you've published, scheduled, or written in the last 7 days, with view and engagement metrics.
- Post status. A general summary of your posting activity over the past 28 days.
You can personalize your home screen by choosing the pages you want to display. To do this, use the drop-down menu at the top of the dashboard:
All Creator Studio features for Facebook can be accessed from the menu on the left side of the screen:
Create a post
Use the shortcut on your home screen or click the green to start creating Facebook content Create a post Button in the upper left corner of the screen:
Select one of the following options here:
Create a post
Use this option to create an organic post, start a live stream, or post a job posting.
You can customize your post using all of the features available through Facebook's native Post Builder: media files, feelings / activities, check-in, etc.
Once you're done drafting your post, you have the option to publish it right away, schedule it for later, or save it as a draft. You can use that too Boost post Feature.
Create post tests
This option allows users to create and test up to 4 versions of an organic video post. The versions can contain various post content, headings, thumbnails, or edits of the video itself.
How does this work? Facebook will display the different versions of your post to segments of your target audience before posting it on your page. Based on the answers, a winner will be selected and automatically published on your page.
Learn more about testing organic video posts here.
This option is pretty self explanatory – use it to create and post simple Facebook Stories.
Only photo and text stories are supported. Regardless of the size of your page, you can add a button with a custom CTA.
Stories created with the tool are shared instantly. Unlike Facebook feed posts, they cannot be scheduled for later or saved in drafts.
As the name suggests, this option can be used to create a video post.
Once you've uploaded a video from your computer, you can edit your post – and even the video itself. You can also add a thumbnail, captions, polls, and tracking.
When you're done, choose one of the several publishing options:
A handy “Before Publishing” checklist is included in this step. Use it to optimize your video for success.
This option allows you to bulk upload up to 50 videos at one time and then edit video titles and descriptions for all videos. Learn more about bulk uploads to Facebook here.
This option is a shortcut to Facebook's native Live Producer tool. If you want to learn more, check out our guide to Facebook Live.
Post videos across pages
Use this option to upload a video and post it on more than one Facebook Page.
The content library is a collection of all the posts that you have published on all of your Facebook pages.
There are many ways to navigate the content library. You can use filters to group your posts by type, publication date, or feature (such as description or video length).
Next to the fitters you will find a search bar that you can use to find a specific post.
You can also use the tabs at the top of the screen to browse your posts by status: published, scheduled, drafts, expired, and expired.
Finally, you can use the menu on the right side of the screen for quick access to stories, clips, instant articles, and more.
However, the content library isn't just an archive of your Facebook content. Once you click on a particular post, a detailed breakdown of its performance is shown.
You can also execute your posts with quick actions right from the content library. Click the three dots that appear when you hover over a post to edit, improve, or delete your post. Note that the list of actions for photo and video mail is different.
All details about your Facebook performance are live in Insights. This is an important feature as Facebook recently announced that it would go under Facebook Analytics.
The Insights section in Creator Studio is divided into four main categories:
- Instant item
The menu on the right side of the screen gives you access to dashboards specific to each category, such as: Audience Insights in Pages and Insights into Retention in Videos.
In each dashboard, you can view insights from specific time periods and export your data.
Tracking Facebook Stories performance in Insights is a little tricky. You have to activate the function manually – but even then you only get access to 28 days of insights via Facebook.
This is where you can interact with the comments and messages that you receive on your Facebook Pages and connected Instagram accounts.
The inbox gathers all of these interactions in one place and allows you to reply to comments and messages right from the dashboard. You can also manage your workload by marking conversations as Done, Spam, Unread, and Following.
The above actions are available for Facebook Comments, Instagram Comments, and Instagram Direct Messages. Additional functions are available for direct messages on Facebook:
- Assigning conversation threads to employees
- Create profiles for the users who interact with your brand
- Add captions, notes, and activities to conversations
- Request payments
This tab is where you can set up monetization tools, track your earnings, and manage payout settings.
The monetization tools available include:
- Instant item
- Paid online events
- In-stream ads for on-demand
- Fan subscriptions
- In-stream ads for live
- Brand Collabs Manager
The first time you access the Monetization section of Creator Studio, you will be presented with an overview of the monetization tools you can use.
You can set them up right from your dashboard. If you want to learn more about Creator Studio's monetization features, please visit the dedicated Facebook page.
This section contains two dashboards:
- Live dashboard: A resource center and performance tracker for players streaming live on Facebook.
- Sound collection: A library of royalty-free tracks and sounds to use on Facebook and Instagram.
Page roles in Facebook Creator Studio
Not all Creator Studio features are available to everyone with access to your Facebook Pages – some are role-specific. Here is a cheat sheet of roles required to complete certain actions:
Features of Instagram Creator Studio
Although Creator Studio can manage both Facebook Pages and Instagram accounts, the tools available for each platform are slightly different.
To access Creator Studio for Instagram, click the Instagram icon at the top of the screen.
How to Connect Instagram to Creator Studio
The first time you use Creator Studio for Instagram, you will need to connect your accounts. Note that Creator Studio is only compatible with Creator and Business accounts.
The process of connecting Instagram to Creator Studio depends on whether or not your account is connected to a Facebook Page. Please refer to the Facebook help article for detailed instructions.
Once you've set up your account, you can use the following features:
Create a post
Post creator for Instagram only supports two content formats:
- Instagram feed posts
Note that unlike Facebook Stories, Instagram Stories cannot be created and published in Creator Studio – and neither can roles. However, you can use Creator Studio to post carousel posts to your feed.
To create a feed post, type or paste your caption and upload the photos or videos you want to post.
You can add a location and insert emojis. If you'd like to add hashtags or mentions of other accounts, just include them in your caption (remember to include # for hashtags and @ for mentions).
In this step you can also crop your picture and decide if you want to publish the post on Facebook as well.
In the advanced settings, you can turn off commenting and add alternative text to your images.
Finally, use the blue button to publish your post right away, schedule it for later, or save it as a draft.
When creating an IGTV contribution, upload a video from your computer or re-share one from your Facebook page. Then write a title and description, choose where you want your post to appear (other than IGTV, i.e. in your Instagram feed as a preview or on your Facebook page), and choose a thumbnail.
When you're done, use the blue button to post, schedule, or save as a draft your video.
Instagram Creator Studio's content library is very similar to the solution for Facebook. It's essentially a collection of all of the content you've posted to your account, including archived stories.
The navigation is simplified compared to the Facebook library. Here you can:
- Filter the content by post status or date.
- Use the search bar.
- Switch between the tabs for quick access to different types of content: All, Video, Photo, Carousel, Stories, and IGTV.
You can also take quick actions by clicking the three dots icon that appears when you hover over a post, such as: View or delete a post, or publish a draft.
Selecting "View Post" will display performance details, including a detailed breakdown of how other users have interacted with your post:
This section is a calendar that contains all of your published and scheduled posts. You can switch between a weekly and a monthly view.
Clicking on a post will see a breakdown of its performance.
Instagram Insights in Creator Studio reflect the insights available through the Instagram app. While it may be more convenient to view it on a computer rather than a mobile device, Creator Studio only gives you access to information for the last 7 days (compared to 30 days in the Instagram app).
Instagram Insights are divided into two categories:
- Activity. This category includes interactions (actions taken on your account, e.g. website visits, calls or texts) and discovery (reach and impressions).
- Audience. Here you can look up the number of your followers, the demographics of your followers (age and gender), the online availability of your followers (days and hours) and their origin (countries and cities).
Unlike Facebook Insights, Instagram Insights cannot be exported as a spreadsheet.
The Monetization tab in Instagram Creator Studio only includes the Brand Collabs Manager. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can use this tool to optimize your work with brands, manage your portfolio and content information, and export the results of brand collaborations.
The Brand Collabs Manager is available to Instagram creators who:
- Have public, active business, or creator accounts
- Have over 10,000 followers
- Generated 100 hours of original video playback time or 1,000 combined engagements (likes and comments) in the last 60 days
- They are based in the USA.
- Have no history of content violations
The monetization tool in Creator Studio is specifically tailored for content creators. If you would like to participate in the Brand Collabs Manager program as an advertiser, apply here.
Roles in Instagram Creator Studio
Some actions in Instagram Creator Studio are limited to specific roles. The following is an overview of the level of access required to use the Creator Studio features:
Who should use Creator Studio?
In general, Creator Studio is a great tool for "power users". If you use Facebook or Instagram for anything other than scrolling and chatting with friends from a personal account, the tool will likely come in handy for you.
Most of the features in Creator Studio are specifically tailored for brands and content creators. Below is a general overview of how these two groups can benefit from the tool.
- Schedule content in advance
- Easily monetize video content on Facebook
- Dealing with brand collaborations
- Access to dedicated resources for content creation (e.g. game instructions or free audio)
- Download performance metrics for media kits and collaboration pitches
- Schedule and publish content on multiple Facebook pages and / or Instagram accounts
- Track the performance of pages / accounts or individual posts
- Learn more about the target audience
- Slight increase in organic content
- Dealing with interactions (comments and DMs) as a team
- Creating profiles for returning customers to provide them with more personalized customer service
Creator Studio vs. Hootsuite
While Creator Studio is a solid option for developers or brands who primarily post to Facebook and Instagram, consider upgrading to a third-party social media management tool if your strategy includes other platforms as well.
With Hootsuite, you can Manage all of your social media activities in one place. Hootsuite supports Facebook and Instagram, as well as all other major social networks: Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
Here's how Hootsuite compares to the main features of Creator Studio:
Hootsuite is more than just a publishing and analytics platform. It also supports content creation – you can access a free image and GIF library, as well as advanced editing tools, right from your dashboard.
And once you've written that perfect post, you can share it across platforms with the push of a button. Why would you Scale your social presence with minimal effort.
(Remember, different platforms have different specifications for subtitle length and image size. If in doubt, see our cheat sheet for each network.)
Other Hootsuite features that aren't in Creator Studio (and can help you get the most out of your social media presence) include:
- Advanced collaboration tools. While Creator Studio might be enough for a single-team social media team, Hootsuite can help you set up approval workflows and create tasks for team members.
- Suspend multiple posts. If your strategy (or the world) changes, you can suspend all scheduled posts with the click of a button instead of changing the settings for each piece of content.
- An expanded inbox. With Hootsuite, you can view and reply to comments and messages from all major social media platforms in one inbox – and assign them to different team members to speed up your replies.
- Easy reporting. Do you want to show your boss how your social media performance is going? You can use Hootsuite's templates to create customized, informative, and visually appealing reports. You can even set up reporting schedules to keep all of your stakeholders in the loop automatically.
- Best times to post suggestions. Hootsuite will review your previous engagement data to suggest the best times to post on each network.
- Access to over 200 app integrations, including Shopview for Shopify, Canva, Dropbox, Google My Business, Mailchimp, Zapier and many more.
Use Hootsuite to schedule posts to multiple social networks, monitor what others are saying about your business, and track your engagement – all from the same dashboard. Try it for free today.
Easily manage all of your social media in one place and Save time with Hootsuite.